The Summer Hummers Event is Saturday, June 4, 2022!
Do you love hummingbirds and enjoy learning about these fascinating little acrobats of the air? Then visit the AWCC on Saturday, June 4, 2022 for the Summer Hummers event! This all-day hummingbird celebration is in partnership with the AWCC, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Alaska, and The Alaska Hummingbird Project, Inc. This will be a great day to visit if you are interested in seeing one of our research projects in action.
Come enjoy a fun-filled day, perfect for all-ages, and free with admission.
Join us for demonstrations and presentations with biologists from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and Alaska Hummingbird Project.
- 9:30am Rufous Hummingbird Banding Demonstration
- 11:00am Rufous Hummingbird Banding Demonstration
- 1:00pm Presentation – Hummingbird 101? Learn about what makes up a natural hummingbird diet, the best practices for setting feeders at home, and how they use their flashy color to communicate.
- 2:00pm Presentation – Hummingbirds & Climate Change. Researchers are focused on understanding what impacts a changing climate may have on species like the Rufous Hummingbird. Learn about current impacts to hummingbirds and how banding research will provide baseline knowledge for future research and conservation of rufous hummingbirds.
- 3:00pm Presentation – Hummingbirds and Other Pollinators. Did you know hummingbirds are pollinators? Learn about the important role hummingbirds and other pollinators play in pollinating Alaska’s plants.
- 4:00pm Presentation – Hummingbird Migration. Learn about the perils of migration and what factors likely have led to an apparent population decline of over 60% in the past 50 years. This is just one species contributing to the loss of 3 billion birds in North America. Learn what steps you can take to support hummingbirds in the future.
- 6:00pm Facebook Live – @akwildlife – Join us virtually for a review of the day’s banding project.